Thursday, July 22, 2010

Because now I am on the lookout for this

Time recently published this article on only children. Honestly, I think it could have been more in depth. Two things I didn't like were that the author was still technically undecided about having more kids, and that, of course, they didn't profile or even really talk about people who through no real choice of their own are having only one.

Clearly, this is a hot button topic for me. And, I actually have more to say on it, but no time right now. So, read it and tell me what you think. I should admit that I did not read the comments, because, quite frankly, I didn't have the nerve. I was afraid I would hear too many negative things about having an only.

And, on another note, my boss left this magazine article in my box at work with a note, saying, "read this and tell me what you think". She herself is the mother to one child, a son, now in young adulthood, though she had one child by choice. (Although, her husband was murdered when her boy was about 4, so...who knows what would have been had he lived? yes, sometimes we like to make inappropriate jokes about how bitter we are) Again, I would like to share my thoughts, but maybe in my next post, given my limited time today. But, please, I would love to hear what others think.

I've never had a problem on my blog before, but just in case, lets keep it nice and respectful, K?

2 comments:

loribeth said...

Catching up on my blog reading & commenting, post vacation. Interesting articles, & I thought they were pretty balanced overall. I've always thought that family size was up to the parents & everyone else should just MYOB. As you point out, there are many, many reasons why parents might have just one child!

I thought the parenting article in particular was interesting & made some good points that needed to be voiced, however unpopular. Of course, who am to talk about parenting? -- but I have to admit that there are days when I am glad that I don't have (living) children, because I honestly don't think I could live up to the enormously high standards that seem to be expected of "good" parents these days.

Pixiecola said...

you know, i have an only child and she is amazing. and she almost wasn't an only child. she and i have been through some pretty rough times, but our relationship is all the better for it. i don't think the number of children one has is the issue - it's the quality that matters. and you're a wonderful mom!